Saturday, July 30, 2011

This Is What It Should Look Like After 38 Years...

This isn’t really a story about a date I was on, but I’m going to tell you this anyway, just because I think it’s important and probably the most adorable conversation I’ve ever accidentally eavesdropped on.

I was camping. (That’s not the story, it’s just context) On the first night I was camping with my parents and my niece, my aunt and uncle were also there. In the morning, I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but when I tell you what I heard, you’ll understand why I just couldn’t help but listen and smile. It was first thing in the morning and everyone was still in bed (except my mother, she gets up at the crack of dawn) and what I heard from the next bed over was the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard. My uncle whispered to his wife of 38 years the following:

“I am so lucky” *kiss* “I don’t deserve you.” *kiss* “I’d do anything to keep you.” *kiss* “I’ll buy you ice cream.”

This was, I think, the most amazing statement I’ve ever heard a man say to a woman. I think it should be in a movie, except that that might cheapen it, because it wouldn’t be real or sincere anymore.

I think that people rush into marriage too much. I think there isn’t enough of this genuine, true, deep love anymore. I want to remind my readers that no matter how old you are (or think you are) you should never be desperate enough to marry someone that you don’t feel this way for. Believe me, I’m 27 and not married (when I thought I’d be married at 26 and was far from that, turning 27 as a single woman was like a kick in the vagina) and even though I’m not married, I’m not settling. I have a friend who is in her early 30’s and though I know she sometimes wishes she was married, she’ll never settle either. The good ones are out there, both men and women, and we just have to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment