Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dating Tip #1

Remember, the first date is not all about you. It’s not all about the other person either. Recently I’ve been helping out a friend in his dating life. I’ve answered questions for him, I’ve helped him decide where to go, what to do, what to wear and even asked a girl out for him! (That was a special case- we were at an event and he HAD to leave just as this woman was making eyes at him, so after he left, I went and hit on her for him. It was mildly creepy of me, but she called him and they did go on a date, and are planning another one- go me!)

The day of the first date in particular, he’d been asking me a slew of questions, for which, if I was charging by the hour, I could have made a fortune answering. I don’t mind, because he is my friend and I care very much about him getting a girlfriend that isn’t a psycho, but it has made me realize that I’m really not just talking out of my ass on this stuff, I really do know what I’m talking about when it comes to dating.

Now here's the tip: Realize that the other person is just as nervous as you are (hopefully you're both somewhat nervous anyway) and understand that this is just a day/evening/lunch/coffee date to get to know someone a little better. Relax. Just be yourself. I know, I know, that's easier said than done. But the person you're on a date with wants to get to know you, not the nervous sweaty person who keeps fidgeting and glancing about and worrying if they're having fun. If the company is good, it doesn't matter where you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment